Sunday, August 22, 2021

Teaching My Granddaughter About Research and Preservation

Jo'elle and grandmother
at the Amistad Research Center
I have one granddaughter who is the eldest grandchild.  Born with a natural desire to learn, she had a strong interest in many things. I enjoyed sharing family history with her and making the process fun at the same time. At the age of two, she started traveling along with me on my genealogy adventures. The two of us would pack lunch and snacks at make our way to the library. The children department was our first stop, where we read books and sometimes arts and crafts. Afterwards we headed upstairs to the genealogy department. 

Her childhood was filled with research adventures and journey to different parish, counties, and states. She loved traveling with me. Especially to the different parks and children museums for fun and excitement. I appreciated Jo'elle's little help very much and I rewarded her for her efforts just to let her know how much I appreciated her helping me. 

As soon as she learned how to read, we would read the signs on the highway and play games together. I always enjoyed being able to take her out of state with me.  During out trips to Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Virginia, Georgia, Mississippi and Texas, she saw a lot of beautiful scenery. 

I wanted to describe our experience in a blog post to so that she can read about our journey together. After her brothers arrived and they turned two, we had traveling companions and were able to enjoy the journey with triple the excitement and fun. 

She accompanied me to the Amistad Research Center in New. Orleans to see our family collection when she turn seven.  I wanted her to see what I had in the boxes, since one day it will mean something to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment