Saturday, November 19, 2022

Kids Exploring Photography

Kids and Photography
Photo Credit: Dr. Antoinette Harrell
Children learn more than just how to take good photographs when they are taught photography Photography encourage kids to explore their creative talents. In the long run, it will help you develop valuable skills in critical thinking and visual perception. I'm always inspired to support children who have an interest in photography and filmmaking. A friend of mine told me how much her grandson E.J. enjoys taking photos. Since I had an extra camera that I wasn't using anymore, I decided to donate it to E.J. He was so thrilled when his grandmother brought him to my house so he could pick up his camera and accessories. Immediately, he began exploring the camera. 

I have a collection of antique cameras that I showed him. From instant polaroids to film cameras. E.J., is growing up in the digital age. A film-based camera is most likely something he hasn't seen before. One of the conversations we had was about how he could earn money and travel internationally with a camera in his hand.

I suggested he ask his teacher at school can he start a photograph club and document school.For students who share the same passion for photography, setting up a photography class can be a great opportunity. Displays of images can be arranged at the school. Club members can invite guest speakers to speak at their meetings.   Every child who had a phone has a camera. They enjoy having their pictures taken most of all. I would enjoy looking at some of E.J.'s creative work and images. 

As we talked about  photography, I mentioned to him that I had friends and associates who took pictures for National Geographic, Planet Magazine, and many other magazines. They have contributed images to documentaries and films. In the event that E.J. succeeds in starting a photography club, I will support him and the club members.


E.J exploring cameras
Photo Credit: Dr. Antoinette Harrell


No comments:

Post a Comment