Friday, November 24, 2017

African American Cattlemen and Farmers on Stateline Road

Ruthie Coleman and son Craig Coleman
Photo Credit: Antoinette Harrell
Two weeks ago I was visiting Ruthie Coleman with VICE documentary producers. While waiting for the film crew to set up their cameras,  her son Craig Coleman introduced himself to me and invited me to visit his upcoming field day event. I told him I would do my best to be there. I know that my schedule is so tight and I didn't have the time to spare. 

I woke my grandkids up early Saturday morning and told them we were going on a hayride and farm. They were so excited to go, they got up early and ate breakfast so that we could be on time. I enjoy taking them on country rides throughout the East Florida Parishes. My two grandsons are in the  4-H club at the school they attend. I thought this would give them the opportunity to really see what 4-H is all about. Farming and raising livestock is a part of 4-H. 

Several of my family members were a part of 4-H. My mom was a 4-H member; she often talks about the homemade yeast rolls she made and how tasty they were. I know that to be true because she made them for my brothers and me. 

Craig said that he learned how to farm from his mother Ruthie, his uncles, and other extended family members. He said that he plant the fresh produce and give it to the seniors in the community. I thought that was wonderful, here is a young man giving back to the community. 

"I been doing this all my life," said Craig. I started with nothing, and now I own land and fifty Angus cattle. We toured his beautiful garden of a variety of greens; mustards, collard, purple collards, turnips, and other greens. 

Craig Coleman feeding his cows
Photo Credit: Antoinette Harrell
Other farmers were attending the events. I watched them hold class right out there in the yard was so beautiful. Several cattlewomen and farmers attend this event as well.  They try to come together at least once a year. When I arrived that morning the smell of fresh coffee, orange juice and donuts were waiting for the guest. Representatives from Southeastern and Southern University were present.  The topics were: Managing Rye Grass, Determining Paddock Size and Keeping the Cost Down. I must admit this was a subject that I didn't know anything about.

The farmers shared information with each other that could be helpful and useful. Craig has a special way of calling his cattle. He said when they see that yellow bucket, they know it is time to eat.  He and his wife Shannon and their children work together as a family and team. Several sponsors helped make this event a success.