Friday, December 1, 2017

Aunt Rosa Made New Orleans Her Home

Rosabell Richardson Moore
Aunt Rosa was one of my grandmother Josephine's sisters. I remember visiting her in New Orleans on Ursuline street. Her home was always spotless; the hardwood floors had a shine that I will never forget. I remember looking at photographs she had on the mantlepiece and her starched crocheted scarves so neatly on the end tables. 

My mother remembers her tasty cooking and her homemade cakes. Aunt Rosa married first to Eddie Jackson, Sr.; they had one son, Eddie Jackson, Jr.; he was a tall and big fellow. I recalled cousin Eddie smiling all the time, others  in the family remembers him taking family photographs. 

I was driving in the Treme community in  New Orleans, and I drove by St. Philip Church  of God In Christ were he pastored. As a child, I visited  his church with my uncle, Frank. Driving by the church and Aunt Rosa's house brought back memories of my family who has passed on. Whenever I'm in the Treme Community, I can't help but think about my family who onced live there. My mother's sister Catherine Harrell Lewis also lived in Treme on Gov. Nicholls Street. Her son James often talk about going to  Joseph A. Craig school on St. Philip Street. 

House on Ursuline
Aunt Rosa raised her two granddaugthers Betty and Floriene, they were my mother's second cousin, but they grew up like they were first cousin. I often heard my mother and cousins Betty and Flo talk about their visits to the county.

Her grandson Leman was only four years old when his grandmother Rosa died April 27, 1972.  He recalled her big hats and her black reading glasses. He remembers her cooking red bean and rice. She used to bake pies, 7-up, jelly and pound cakes,  and bread pudding he said. According to the 1940 U.S. Census, Aunt Rosa occupation was a cook. In 1940 she and her family lived in Butler Town. The highest grade she completed was 5th grade. Leman said that his grandmother enjoyed reading her bible. I asked Leman if she ever drove a car, he said that his Aunt Betty told she drove as young in and around Amite, but when she moved to New Orleans, she stopped driving. Aunt Rosa was a domestic worker,  and she was a cook at the school. 

Cousin Betty and Flo's mother Odie Melton died when they were very young. Odie was born in 1926 in Ward 3, St. Helena, Louisiana. Odie parents were Charlie and Florence Melton. Odie's siblings were; Mary Etta, Francis, Ruth, Godfry and Henry Melton.

Odie's mothers' name were Florence Bennett. Florence parents were named Jessie and Mollie Bennett of St. Helena Parishes, Louisiana. Jessie Bennett was born in 1860. According to the 1880 U.S. Census, Jessie and his family was lived in 2nd Ward in St. Helena Parish. Jessie's parents was named Robert and Tabitha Bennett. 

I know when some of my family read this post, it will bring back memories of them.  I want to educate the younger family members about our ancestors whom they didn't know. Sharing photographs, oral history, and written history is a sure way to keep our family history alive.