Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Unknown Children in the Photograph

Photo Courtesy
Audrey Harrell Dumones
Robert Harrell was born a slave in 1821 in Amite County, Mississippi. He also lived in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana. I would like to know who the young people are in this picture. Robert passed away  died in 1921. His son Alexander was born in 1859 and died in 1914. 

Could this be my grandfather Jasper's brothers and sister? My mother Isabel said that her father Jasper was only two years old when his father passed away. This photograph looks so much like Alexander Harrell, although cousin Olga Mae Johnson who is deceased said that it looks like grandpa Robert.  Could that be the grandchildren? The little girl looks a lot like Aunt Bertha. I thought I would share it anyway. At least I can say that the photograph was taken at the old homestead in Amite, Louisiana. 

Whatever little piece of history we can hold on to learn from is essential. If you have any photographs and stories you would like to share with the Harrell family please share it.  Last week I visit several people in the community who had a rich collection of their family photographs and most importantly they are sharing with me so that their history will never be forgotten. People from all over the world is reading about our history in the Florida Parishes, Louisiana.