Saturday, November 23, 2019

Grandfather Charlie Married Twice

Charlie Mckay and his wife Julia Bickham McKay
My father passed away this past February, and for something strange reason, I'm learning more about his family since he passed away. I can't explain this type of strange paranormal things. I just go with  the flow and follow the leads. My father didn't discuss his maternal grandfather at all. He talked about his paternal grandfather because he lived with his grandparents sometimes. 

If I would've asked him, he wouldn't tell me anyway. Dad knew how to hold secrets with a smile on his face. Somehow life has a way if of revealing to you the answers you're searching for. Are perhaps the ancestors are ready to tell you. I sometimes wonder if dad wants me to find out now that he is gone, so he won't have to answer my questions. I guess I had to throw that sense of humor in there because that sounds like something he would say.

I can see him smiling and saying, "well-baby" that's just the things were in those days. As if that is telling me somethings important. I think about him often the way he told family stories. I  wonder why he didn't tell me that his maternal grandfather Charlie was married twice and had children by his second wife, Julia Bickham. Charlie and his first wife, Florence Williams has three children. Mary, William, and Lonnie. My direct line is Mary McKay Boykin. Charlie's and his second wife had five children; Albert, Luella, Emily, Prentiss, and May Helen McKay.

I learned through ancestry that one of my great-aunt's just passed away in 2014. I will do my best to find their children and make a connection. I know that they are in Washington Parish, Louisiana. My Charlie was born around 1891 and died in 1961.  He and Florence divorced and left Mississippi and moved to Louisiana. His first wife Florence, died in 1966. His second wife Julia, died in 1977.

I was happy to find any information I could find.  I couldn't find anything on Charlie before the 1880 United States Federal Census.

Questions I need answers to?

Where did Charlie come from? 
Who were his parents? 
Who was his siblings?
Is McKay his true name? 
Why can't  I find anything else on him? 
How much does his descendants in Washington Parish, Louisiana, know about him?