Saturday, December 21, 2019

Tangipahoa Parish Civil Rights Icon Bobby Cyprian

Bobby Cyprian
Photo Courtesy: Antoinette Harrell
Civil Rights Icon Bobbie Cyprian was a member and secretary of the Sweetwater Voters League. He was born in 1940 in Independence, LA. His parents were Andrew Cyprian, Sr, and Beatrice Alexander. Sweetwater was known for syrup making, and sugar cane raising. 

He joined the 1967 Bogalusa Civil Rights March for the 105 miles march to the steps of the Louisiana State Capitol. "I went down to Greenville Park High School to fight injustice," said Cyprian. I was young, and I was working for a white man who was mistreating me. I knew I had to stand up for my rights, he said. The marchers were met by the KKK when they reached Hammond, Louisiana.

During the night while attending a meeting at Greenville Park School, the KKK came and started shooting. No one was shot or killed. We resolved the meeting, and a day later, we gather to start marching again. I picked it up where the overpassed in on 1-55. When we got to Walker, the KKK was waiting for us; they were hollering, "niggers, you will never make it to the State Capitol. "Under pressure from the U.S. Civil Rights Divison, Governor John McKeithen agreed to dispatch nearly 700 National Guardsmen and 500 state trooper to protect the demonstrators as they walked down the center of Highway U.S. 190.

I asked him to give me the history behind the name Sweetwater. The wagon felt through a crack, and all the syrup fell into the creek, and they call the community "Sweet Water" according to the folk tales, it just one the many stories behind the name of Sweet Water. 

Mount Olive School was the first African American; Mount Olive Baptist Church started the school. Bobbie attended school there and from Burgher Elementary School. 1n 1955, he went to West Side School in Amite, LA.