Wednesday, December 16, 2020

New Found Relatives in My Family Tree


Mayor Rochell Bates and Dr. Antoinette Harrell
Photo Credit: Walter C. Black, Sr.
I moved back to the Parish, where my ancestral lived in 2005. I was happy with the move; after all, I didn't have to travel from New Orleans two to three times a week to conduct my maternal and paternal genealogy research in Amite County, Mississippi or St. Helena Parish, Louisiana. I focus my attention and research energy, mostly on my maternal side of the family, until 2019. It was after the death of my father that I decided to look deeper into his family tree. My father's mother's name was Mary McKay, was born to Charlie and Florence William McKay in 1904 in Pike, Mississippi.

Florence's parents were Alexander and Rebecca Ann Williams. Rebecca was born around 1857 in Mississippi. According to the 1910 United States Federal Census, she was listed as a mulatto. Rebecca was able to read and write. She and Alexander had nine children. 

Rochell Bates is the mayor of Kentwood, La., and the principal of Kentwood Magnet High School. I would have never imagined that there could be any relations to us at all. Well, I was in for a surprise. I found his Sim Bates on in a family tree where my Rebecca was found. I wanted to look a little deeper into the Bates family lineage. 

I learned from Rochell that the Bates started somewhere in Amite County, Mississippi. I started looking for the first white Bates in Amite County, Mississippi and found a man named Richard Bates, who owned hundred and six enslaved people. Richard was born in 1796 in Barnwall, South Carolina, and died in 1867 in Amite, Mississippi. I would like to know the names of everyone he owned on the plantation.

Mayor Bates and I were just and surprised to learn that we are related. Sometimes you never know who you are related to. There is more to come to this story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment