Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Touring the Louisiana State Archives

Louisiana State Archives
Photo Credit: Leonard Smith III
The Louisiana State Archives is the official repository for Louisiana's historical records. Over the past twenty-five years. I have made numerous trips to the archives in order to conduct genealogy research on both my paternal and maternal lines. I recently saw a flyer advertising a tour of the archives and I was excited to sign up for the tour. Throughout all my years of research, I have never gone past the first floor. After learning that I would have access to the second floor, I was very pleased

When I told my friend and documentary filmmaker Leonard Smith III that the Louisiana State Archives was hosting a tour, he said that he would join me for the tour. The second floor consists of a warehouse of boxes containing original records, boxes and some personal items of individuals. A tour of several departments of the film production facilities and microfilms was conducted. I was pleased to meet with Alliso Liorens, Executive Staff Officer: Brad France, M.A. Archives Supervisor, and Catherine J. Newsome, State Archivist and Executive Director of the Louisiana State Archives. We toured the exhibit room as well as the auditorium during our visit. 

Some of the staff  pulled search materials out for us to see. Records for Mahalia Jackson, Louis Armstrong, Bonnie and Clyde, and Marie Laveau. They also pulled a suit, shirt and tie that belonged to Huey P. Long. There is nothing comparable to reviewing original records. Over the course of my research trip. I visited many courthouses, archives, and libraries. I also met many people who still maintain original records within their homes. 

Following the tour, Leonard and I had a good discussion about what we seen and what we learned from the tour. The mere sight of all the boxes overwhelmed me since I have boxes in my office ready to be sent to the Center for Southeast Louisiana Studies, the Amistad Research Center, the East Baton Rouge Parish Library Special Collection, and the Amite Genealogy Department. 


Leonard Smith III
Louisiana State Archives 
Photo Credit: Dr. Antoinette Harrell


No comments:

Post a Comment