Friday, February 24, 2023

Buried between two cotton fields on Locust Ridge Plantation

Dr. Antoinette Harrell
Photo Credit:  Annie Harnet
t
Annie Harnett and I was  introduced several years ago by a mutual friend, Steve Godfrey.  Steve is well aware of my passion for genealogy and thought it would be nice for me to connect with Annie.  I can't recall whether we spoke by phone or by email, it was  a while ago. We finally were able to meet, so that is what's significant here. In search of her ancestors, Annie took a genealogy road trip to Tensas Parish.  Louisiana's Tensas Parish is located in the northeastern part of the state. The parish is bordered by the Mississippi River. Approximately 4,147 people live in the city according to the 2020 census.  St.Joseph, Louisiana, is the parish seat. 

On that cold Saturday morning, I awoke at 6:00 a.m. to drive the two and a half hours to Tensas Parish.  My  GPS directed me to 1-55 North and the Natchez exit. In the back woods, the rolling hills and flat land were still covered with early morning frost. From the road, I  could see fog hovering over ponds giving it that ghostly look. Like that in a horror movie scene.  The beauty of these landscapes made me want to grab my camera and take pictures. In the end, I managed to take a few pictures. Besides, I didn't want to be late to meet Annie.  Annie's ancestors were the owners of Locust Ridge Plantation owned by her ancestor named  McGrudger Adams. She began researching her family's involvement in the slave society of the South in the Spring of 2021.

I was scheduled to arrive at 9:30 a.m.  This gave me an hour to explore the area. Waterproof, Louisiana was my first stop. After driving around the area for a while, I came across the cemetery that Annie and I would venture back to on our adventure. Annie and her guest walked the cemetery in search of her guest ancestors while I sat in the car saving my strength for the expedition ahead. After a delicious lunch at the "Walking Pig" restaurant, in St. Joseph,  a bowl of spicy collard greens, mac and cheese, with a nice cold glass of freshly made tea with a twist of lemon gave me an extra boost. 

Annie took me to visited a cemetery between two cotton fields on Locust Ridge Plantation.  We walked  a distant to get the thickets where the Wrights, Hatton, and Lewis families are buried. By this time the sun had warmed up and I didn't need the sweater I was wearing. I had to started shedding the layers of clothing due to the increase of heat.  It wasn't easy walking on crutches in the mud as an amputee. My crutches sank three and a half inches in mud. The thought kept repeating in my mind, "you can't quit" those fleeing for freedom couldn't quit. I heard a voice inside me telling me to keep walking. As I walked, I kept an eye out for cottonmouths and rattlesnakes. Not to mention hoping that we wouldn't run into wild boars. I was constantly reminded that this was the reality for those enslaved. 

The thought of the enslaved on the plantation trying to escape with someone with a disability like myself was on my mind at the same time as Annie and I were talking. The mere thought of staying behind to avoid slowing others down meant that my family may never see me again. As I thought about the dogs on the trails and the slave catchers pursuing them, I would have slowed them down. I was frightened, anxious, and sorrowful just thinking about them. A greater appreciation for those who escaped to freedom took over after processing the many thoughts about getting caught and the consequences of running away. 

Dr. Antoinette Harrell's Ancestor Charm Guider
Once we reached the cemetery, I had to cross over falling trees, avoid branches and endless wild vines to get the graves. Annie went on a head and scoped out the area while I made my way to where she was. After I saw the first headstone, the excitement grew stronger. I looked around for other between the palmetto trees and bushes. My eyes scanned the area carefully and I made my way to read each one. I always carry my good luck piece in my pocket when I'm searching for my ancestors or other ancestors. I waiting for the mystical moment to take it out. When I got to Rena Lewis Hatton grave it was time to take it out and place it on her headstone. I was reminded of Ezekiel 3: 1-10 Then he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones and say to them, "Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! This what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you come to life.  

We feel as if Rena is guiding us on this journey.  She is speaking to us in some spiritual form. The purpose of my search is to help Annie locate Rena's descendant. I used Ancestry. com to help me locate  Rena's descendants. I left a message for one of her descendants name Latoya. Latoya' mother Mattie  responded to my call and I couldn't contain my excitement. The news was a dream come true for Annie, I couldn't wait to share it with her. She wanted to meet the descendants of those her ancestors enslaved. I arranged a phone call and help to facilitate this meeting. It end up with information sharing and a plan of action to meet each other. 

Rena's descendants saw their ancestors' headstones for the first time through photographs Annie shared. They didn't know where their graves were located. Annie has given the Lewis and Hatton families the gift of knowing where their loved ones are buried. They received photographs of the headstones from Annie. To some, it may seem insignificant. Consider for a moment that the bushes and trees are growing new leaves as spring approaches, making it impossible to visit the sacred burial grounds. Snakes, bugs and mosquitoes will keep you from entering the sacred place they share with those buried there.  They worked the cotton fields and are buried in the cotton fields like so many in Tensas Parish and other plantation through out the United States. 


5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Antoinette! Thank you so much for your guidance on what I do believe is a spiritual journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. You have a very special talent, skill set and your dedication is to be commended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing guide you are. I’m certain Annie is blessed to have connected with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could barely contain myself when I read this blog, as well as
    “Sacred Grounds”…My family, the Webbs, Felixs Colemans, &Turners lived on LocustRidge as well as CrossKey..Like what you are doing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, my late sister-in-love, Myrtis Johnson, was passionate in this area.

    ReplyDelete