Monday, April 14, 2014

Funeral Programs Contains Value Genealogical Information


Doris Lloyd looking at African American Funeral Programs
Center For Southeast Louisiana Studies
Antoinette Harrell Collection
If you live in the South, you'll find that many people have a collection of funeral programs. My mother for one saves all of the funeral programs from the many funerals she attended, especially family members. I have met several people who lives in Tangipahoa and St. Helena Parishes that have an extensive funeral program collection. When I started researching my families history, I learned first hand just how important these funeral programs can be.

Genealogical information such at the person full name, place of birth, where they were born, when they died,  if they were married, the name of their spouse, children, the number of grandchildren they had, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles.  Also their occupation and if they were a member of any organization or association. Where they receive their education and their parents name.

Whenever I go to someone's home to look at their collection I alway bring my scanner, computer and camera to make copies of the ones that I don't have and added them to my collection. I created an index and put them in binders and donated them to the Center For Southeast Louisiana Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, Louisiana. You can find this collection in the Antoinette Harrell Collection. Some of them was donated to the Amistad Research Center in New Orleans. My childhood friend Doris went with me to look at the collection and she was amazed at how funeral programs can be preserved for genealogical study.

If you have a collection and would like to share it with Preserving Our History in Tangipahoa and St. Helena Parishes, Louisiana., please contact me by email at afrigenah@yahoo.com


African American Funeral Programs
Center For Southeast Louisiana Studies
Antoinette Harrell Collection

Links

http://www.southeastern.edu/acad_research/programs/csls/historical_collections/archival_collections/h_k/harrell_collection.html

http://tangipahoaafrican-americannews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment