Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Proud To Be The Granddaughter Of A Farmer

Antoinette Gardening
I descend from a long line of farmers on my paternal and maternal side of the family. The Harrell, Boykins, Dudley, Richardson, and Vining  were farmers by occupation, they purchased their land and fed their families from the land. I was a young child when my maternal great uncle Palmer Harrell taught me and my brothers how to plant and grow vegetables. I enjoyed it then and I still enjoy planting vegetables, fruit trees, and flowers up until this day.

Once you eat something so fresh and tasty out of your own garden its hard to eat anything else. There is nothing like eating fresh vegetables and fruit that isn't genetically modified or GMOs. This brings to mind men like cousin Henry Wheat,  Governor Harrison, Walter Wren, Sr., The Wheeler, Temple, Frazier, Coleman and Atkin's Families who farmed. Of course there are so many more families in Tangipahoa and St. Helena Parishes who made a living by farming.

Peppermint Herb
Harrell's Garden
I planted fresh herbs in my garden too. The taste of freshly squeezed homemade lemonade with a twist of mint is just what your taste buds call for on a nice breezy summer day. My herbal basil plants didn't survive the harsh winter.  I'm still waiting to see if my orange tree survive the freeze and snow we had this winter in Southeast Louisiana.

The rosemary plant survived to my surprise. When I want to relax and get away from the stresses of life. Working in my garden is very therapeutic for me.  Growing your home vegetables and herbs have many healthy benefits. Its appears that gardening and farming is dying in the African American communities. I find it necessary to teach my grandchildren how to plant vegetables and fruit.  




My grandson Connor learning about farming

Cilantro Herb
Harrell's Garden