Friday, June 26, 2015

Civil Rights Case in Montpelier, Louisiana

Department of Justice Files
Several years ago I was looking in the Department of Justice files at the National Archives in Washington, D.C., I came across a complaint that was filed with the Department of Justice on August 18, 1964.

There was an unknown objects thrown at the school bus windshield near Rocky Hill School in Montpelier.

My family lineage is deeply rooted in Montpelier, La., dating before 1853. My maternal 3rd great grandfather Thomas Richardson was born in St. Helena, LA., A lot of my family members are buried at Rocky Hill cemetery and some of them attended Rocky Hill School. I haven't met anyone who spoke about this incident that took place in Montpelier, LA., on August 18, 1964. Just thinking about an unknown object that was thrown at the bus full of children is frightening. We are graceful and thankful that no one was hurt or killed.

If anyone in Montpelier can recall this incident please contact me.