Sunday, November 26, 2017

Their ties to the Land and Agriculture is in their DNA

Field Day
Photo Credit: Antoinette Harrell
My maternal grandfather comes from a long line of farmers in the East Flordia Parishes, Louisiana. Several weekends ago my grandkids and I took a morning tour of one the local farms on the Northern end of Tangipahoa Parish, along with people from around other parishes.  Craig and Shannon Coleman were the hosts for this years field day event. Thier kids and family members helped them to make this event a success.

Everyone signed in and put their name tags on, some grabbed a fresh hot cup of coffee freshly brewed and fresh donuts. The homemade fresh cookies were a special treat for everyone, thanks to the cookie baker.  Some folk sampled fresh greens right out of the garden. I wanted to sample the taste of the uncooked purple mustards, but I forgot to go back and get it. One lady said she tasted them and they were tender and sweet. She wanted to learn more about the purple mustards so she can plant some in her garden.

Women and men gathered to share their knowledge of their subject of interest. Conversations about the different types of grass they grow and the health benefit for their livestock.  How many acres it takes to raise one cow? Planting and harvesting the produce can be heard as we travel along the beautiful back countryside.  All the kids were enjoying the ride and watching the tiny
The girls walking in the pasture
Photo Credit: Antoinette Harrell
dog run behind us as we drove along. When we got to the cow pasture, they watched the cattle come up for food for a minute and they took off running and playing like kids will do. Looking at them running and playing under the beautiful blue skies and rolling hills of pastures were photo taking moments for me. 

The weather was just beautiful for this tour. I sit there watching and engaging in conversations here and there. Riding-along brought back so many beautiful childhood memories for me. Growing up in Amite, Louisiana near several family members that were farmers. My maternal great uncle Palmer Harrell farmed right across the road where I lived. My family lived on heir property that was purchased by my great-grandmother Emma Mead Harrell in 1896 and 1902,   grandmother Emma was a farmer. So being around all the farmers, cattlemen, and cattlewomen were very exciting and educational for me. 

Our first stop was the cattle pastures to see the Angus livestock. The owners of livestock shared information and asked questions to learn new about techniques of agriculture.  Some of the farmers met for the first time and others knew each other through agriculture. I interviewed several of the farmers and most of them grew up on a farm and they still have a very deep passion for farming. I know it's in their DNA because after living in the New Orleans for thirty-four years, I returned to the country where I can appreciate having my garden, growing oranges, blueberries, and pears and being connected to mother nature. The beautiful sound of the birds sing in the morning is my alarm clock. The smell of freshness in the air and on a clear night I can see the beautiful stars. 

Trail Ride
As a child growing up in the country, we had the supermarket right outdoors. We had black walnut trees, pecan trees, fig trees, peach trees, natural spring water, herbs, produce, chickens, and my grandfather had a horse named Frank. 

I can truly understand the passion for it. Walking in the footstep of my uncle Palmer who taught me how important the soil is to our very existence. Two things a man can't live without,  food and water. The taste of fresh and especially organic produce is music to my body, my cells, and health.  Fresh herbs and vegetables with vibrant colors are the medication we all need to live a healthy life. This is one of the best prescriptions that can be prescribed. Everyone can grow fresh herbs and produce, no matter where you live. If you live in a city, try planting in flower pots. You will be surprised what a flower pot can yield.

I have a greater respect and appreciation for our local farmers who take pride in growing our food. People understand the importance of lawyers, doctors, engineers, and other occupations. "How often do we think about our local farmers? " More people should support the local farmers in their areas.  The taste of fresh produce from the rich soil to your kitchen tables would be a special treat for you and your family.  I look forward to the next event and I gladly signed my name on their communication list.