Thursday, February 1, 2018

Color of Tangipahoa Project " We Want to Hear Your Story"

Help Us Honor Black History Month!

Please help me to continue to document our history, legacy, triumphs, and your family history this month for Black History. For the past twenty years, I have been working to document the rich history of African-Ameican people of Tangipahoa & St. Helena Parishes, Louisiana. 

The genealogy department at the Amite Branch is a vital resource when someone is searching for their family history. When I first started researching my family history at the Amite Library, I couldn't find anything outside of the census. My heart dropped because I knew my family like so many families of African descent contributed so much to our parish and there wasn't any written history about them. I told myself I had to do something about it. I started by donating my own family history to the genealogy department. 

The Amite Branch and I are in a collaboration to collect family history through an oral history collection on Saturday: February 10th at 9:00AM to 2PM. Please help me to continue to document the history of the undocumented people who contributed has been a part of Tangipahoa & St. Helena Parishes since the forming of the Florida Parishes. 

Please contact me to add your name to this list to preserve your family history. I can be reached by phone at 504.858.4658 or by email at afrigenah@yahoo.com.