Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Photograph Collection of the Late Raymond Harrell, Sr.

My uncle Raymond Harrell, Sr. was just like his older sister Isabell in preserving family photographs. After he passed away, his daughter Montreal Harrell inherited her father's collection. I met with her years ago to scan the images, and just recently she and I discussed donating his collection to Southeastern Center for Louisiana Studies in his name. Uncle Raymond had two children. One daughter and one son; Monteral is the oldest.  I don't know if her brother Raymond, Jr., paid attention as Monteral did.  I like to think of it as her family history lessons taught to her by her father.

Uncle Raymond was the kind of person that would visit with family members and take photographs. I remember one time he and I traveled to Chicago to see his first cousins; Bobbie and Audrey. He took me to meet the descendants of uncle Warner Harrell in Wisconsin. I met his first cousin Dan Harrell and his beautiful wife. My mother never met them so it was an honor for me to meet them. 

Monteral said that she went to Chicago with her dad too. "I helped him drive," said Monteral . I know that was a great experience for her. Spending quality time with her father. I know he would be proud to see the beautiful and caring woman she is. 

Ella Harrell Harrison
Courtesy of Monteral Harrell
After our discussion about the images, she decided that she would allow me to guide her through the process. In memory of her dad, she is giving the family and parish an educational gift. I took the collection to help organize it for the repository.

Too often family images can get lost or thrown away.  He kept all his photograph in a box and from time to time he would take them out and share stories about the people in the image. Looking through the box and I found my mother's wedding picture.

I wish my uncle were here to share the stories and name some of the people in the photograph. "Daddy used to pull the box out and talk about the people," said Montreal. Unless someone has lost all their family photographs in a natural catastrophic incident, you can imagine the pain that it causes. We traveled down memory lane looking at our Harrell ancestors. They were dressed so elegantly and classy to say they were the children and grandchildren of former slaves. 

We couldn't identify some of the people in some of the photographs. Nevertheless, we wanted to save them anyway. Perhaps someone else may be able to identify the people. Monteral is an educator in the Tangipahoa Parish School System. She understands the importance of the photographs and how important it is to our history. 

The photographs keep her feeling connected to her father. Looking at her beautiful smile, I can see the feeling of connection. She knew just how much the collection meant to her father.  Our great aunt Ella Harrell Harrison had the collection and when she died, our cousin named Gert inherit the
Image Unknown
Courtesy of Monteral Harrell
collection. After cousin Gert passed away my uncle Raymond inherit the collection. 

The collection couldn't have fallen in better hands. Now, Monteral has entrusted me with the collection. I can't wait until the collection is ready for view at Southeastern Center for Louisiana Studies.

Doing something in memory of my uncle means so much to me. When I was a little girl he would take me for a ride in his car and we always stop to get an ice cream cone. His love for family is the reason that these photographs meant so much to him. What a great way to honor his memory by honoring the legacy he left to all of us!

Monteral is to be commended for sharing that gift and legacy. The beautiful images speak volumes about African-American families who lived in the Louisiana Florida Parishes.