Saturday, July 13, 2019

Finding My Priscilla

Randall and Priscilla "Silla" Blackburn Harrell
Marriage License: December 26, 1867
Source: Union Parish Courthouse
Whenever any genealogist or family historian finds an ancestor in their research is exciting. For over twenty-five years, I have been researching my Harrell side of the family. My mother's side of the family is my Harrell lineage. Most of my family didn't have any knowledge past my grandfather Jasper Harrell, Sr., parents, and siblings before my research.

Jasper was two years old when his father Alexander passed away in 1914. My mother told me that her father couldn't tell the family anything about the generation before him except that they came from Clinton, Louisiana. I went to the Main Library in New Orleans and certain the United States Federal Census starting at 1930 at that time. The 1940s census wasn't available when I started researching my family history. I started researching the Harrell's in Tangipahoa Parish and found grandfather Alexander and his wife Emma Mead Harrell and all their children. 

Alexander Harrell
Randall and Pricilla Blackburn grandson
Son of Robert and Dinah Harrell
When I got to the 1920 United States Federal Census, I found that Emma was now the head of the household since her husband Alexander had passed away. Living in the house with her were her children; Alexander, Palmer, Theodore, Margareta, Jasper, and her father-in-law Robert Harrell.

A level of excitement took over me when I found Alexander's father, Robert. Robert's wife Dinah or Darska had died sometime back. In the 1910 census, Robert was living along and he was widowed. Robert was born in 1821 in Mississippi and died in 1921 in Amite, Louisiana. He and his Dinah had six children.

That was just about as far as I could go back twenty years ago. A couple of months ago, I found that Priscilla " Silla" Blackburn married a man named Randall Harrell in 1867 in Union Parish, Louisiana. Randall was seventy years old and Priscilla was sixty five when they got married. In the 1870 census Randall and Priscilla were living in Ward 3, Union Parish, Louisiana. Randall was born around 1800 and was seventy years old. Priscilla was born around 1805 in South Carolina or Virginia.  Now, I know who Robert's father was Randall Harrell.  I can't wait to travel to Union Parish to conduct more research at the courthouse and visit the local genealogy library. I hope that I can make a connection with Randall's brother Thomas descendants that could take me to the local cemetery. I met several of Thomas Harrell's descendants on Ancestry. Here are the questions I need answers too:

1. Who owned Randall Harrell?
2. Why did they leave East Feliciana Parish?
3. Where is his brother Thomas descendants?
4. Did Randall and Silla have other children?
5. Why did they return to East Feliciana Parish?
6. Who were her parents?
7. What part of South Carolina?
8. Does the Blackburn name trace back to South Carolina?

I contacted the Clerk Office and Union Parish to purchase Randall and Priscilla Blackburn Harrell's marriage license. When I went to the mailbox and found the marriage license at arrive, I was so excited. There is nothing like travel there personally to research the records in the courthouse. Any information I can locate on my Harrell ancestors is just one more missing piece of the puzzle that is important to the bigger picture.

The great-granchildren of
Randall and Priscilla Blackburn Harrell