Saturday, July 13, 2019

Uncle Henry Migrated Up North in the Early 1920s

Henry Harrell
Henry was born to the union of Alexander and Emma Mead Harrell in 1887. He died in Racine, Wisconsin in 1967. Uncle Henry is buried in Graceland Cemetery in Racine, Wisconsin in Section #7. Henry and his sister and brother migrated up north in sometime in the 1920s. His sister Bertha migrated to Chicago, Illinois and he and his brother Warner with to Wisconsin. I never heard my mother say that my grandfather ever traveled up north to visit his siblings.

He served in World War I In 1942; he was fifty-four years old when he signed the World War II Draft Registration Card in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In the 1940 United States Federal Census, he was married to a woman named Ruth, and they lived at 804 A. W. Somers in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

According to the U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995,  Henry and Ruth lived in on 576 7th Street in 1927.  He was a Porter.

 In 1940 he worked in a Syner Steel Company on 43rd & W. Mitchell St. in Milwaukee as a Steele Finisher.  Henry completed 7th grade.  I found him on the tree of a person named Esnow, and I'm hoping that this person can shall some information about Henry with me.  There were other people living in the house with him in the 1940 United States Census. His brother Warner was living in the house with him and his wife, Ruth.  Living in the house was lodgers named Williametta Smith and her son Clarence Smith. Williametta Smith mother Rosa Everett also lived in the house. Ruth was born in Mississippi.  Rosa and Williametta were also from the state of Mississippi.

Warner Harrell
World War I
Hurricane Barry allowed me to do some very indebt research on my Harrell family. I took to social media after I found a lead. I did contact the person that is connected to Henry and his brother Warner names. If this person turns out to be the grandson of Warner Harrell,  hopefully, he can tell me more
information about the Harrell family in up north.

Years ago my Uncle Raymond took me to Milwaukee to meet Cousin Dan Harrell one of Warner's two sons. In 1940 Dan was twenty-two years old and, he was living with his mother. Dan was worked at a Tannery as a Paster. His brother Willie was nineteen and worked at Ugertes of Drad as a Junior Clerk.

I'm anticipating Warner contacting me very soon to see if we're related. I can't ever recall them visiting family members down south. It's safe to say that they haven't met any relatives down south. I think I will keep putting irons in the fire and sit back and wait for new leads.