Sunday, August 22, 2021

Harrell Researching at the Hill Memorial Library on LSU Campus

Research at the Hill Memorial Library
Photo Credit: Walter C. Black, Sr.
In the course of researching my paternal and maternal family history, I traveled to many research facilities with high hopes of finding new information and new leads.There have been many visits to the local libraries, the Louisiana State Archives, the Clerk's Office, Universities, and other research facilities in the area where my ancestors lived. My ancestors were enslave on plantation in the South, so I began looking for records on them. LSU has a very helpful finding aid that I found to be very helpful. 

The finding aids are descriptions of archival collections at LSU. They provide biographical or historical information about the creator. Details about what type of materials that can be found in the collection. It is always helpful when there is a finding aid. Believe it or not, there are records that doesn't provide a finding aid. Any research will tell you how it helps to have a finding aid. 

When there isn't a finding aid, it's a disappointment, because it means that you have to physically look through every document, and hope that you find find something which his helpful to your research. Also keep in mind that looking at the finding aid online can save you a lot of time when you get there. 

One thing to note is that LSU doesn't have many collection related to African-Americans. As a matter of fact, most of the research facilities that I have researched don't have many collections dedicated specifically to African-Americans. 

My primary reason for starting my collections was because of this very reason. It had been a very problemous process getting African Americans to donate their materials for preservation. In the future, I hope that I will be able to continue to educate and promote the importance of preserving our records outside of our homes for many reasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment