Friday, November 15, 2013

The Legacy of Sunny Cohn of Amite, Louisiana


Sunny Cohn
No name were given for the woman in the
photograph
A man whose energy, determination and varied interests led him to become a very influential man in Amite and the northern section of Tangipahoa Parish. Sunny was born in Roseland, Louisiana, where he attended grammar school in Kentwood, Louisiana. He served seven years in the U.S. Army during World War II, serving in France, England and Germany.

On his return home in 1950 he attended a trade school in Hammond, La., and then worked for Ardillo's Supermarket in Amite. In 1960 he purchased his own school bus and began driving for the Tangipahoa Parish School Board. He was also the Assistant Supervisor of Maintenance at the Parish Court House in Amite, a position he held since 1973.

Serving his community by taking part in many civic organizations is one of the highlights of his life. One of his favorite projects was serving on the board of director of the Head Start Program in Tangipahoa Parish and Amite for three years. The Head Start Program is 80% funded. Sunny assisted by a cousin Leatha Cook, who was director of the Head Start were very active in fund raising for the remaining 20% need to continue the program.

Sunny was very proud of being on the board of the Tangipahoa Black Festivial, Inc., for the past three years. He was recognized as a member who could be counted on to do his job well. He and his wife, the former Mary Lee Head have been married for forty years, they had one son Floyd, Jr., who has three children.

Sunny was a great enthusiast of all sports. He really enjoyed watching the local high school games because he had watched these kids grow up over the year while riding his school bus.  Sunny's outlook on life is to help his fellow man when ever possible.

Source: African American Album donated to the Amite Genealogy Library by Mrs. Gracie Perry of Amite, LA