Here are the Unincorporated towns and towns that was Incorporated in Tangipahoa Parish, (* indicated incorporated). The name "Tangipahoa," is an Indian word meaning "ear of corn". The parish was formed from in 1869 form parts of St. Helena, Livington, St. Tammany, Washington parishes. Amite has always been the parish seat. The parish contains 500,000 acres of land.
Source: Center For Southeast Louisiana Studies