Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Hiram Brumfield of Kentwood, Louisiana

Hiram Brumfield
Hiram Brumfield was born in 1882 in Tangipahoa Parish. He was married to Dixie Brumfield. Dixie died on Jan 21, 1938. In 1910 he and his wife only had two children, Edcor and Daisy. Hiram is listed as a mulatto. Hiram couldn't read or write but he had sharp business skills and was self-employed. In the early 1900s he made regular rounds and was very dependable in his wagon that could have been  possibly the earliest garbage collector in Kentwood.  He raised pigs and he would gather discarded food and scraps to feed his pigs.  He  passed away on September 18, 1956 and was buried at the original Sweet Home cemetery according to his daughter Daisy Brumfield.

The Brumfield's has a long genealogical history in Kentwood, Louisiana and they are a large family. Names of Brumfield's in Kentwood included; Jim, Mattie, Melvin, Della Mae, James, Doris, Nathaniel, Mamie, Ira, Pecola, Irena, Arlie May, Walter, Hazel, Shellie, Doris, Dock, Lucinda, Oscar, Dixie, Minnie, Jim, Rosa, Eula, Collie, Lizzie, Chas, Merridth, Bailey, Robert, Lulsa, John, Fannie, Alma, Vernie, Selma, Kermit, Willie, Wessie, Bessie, and Laura are just a few names found in the U.S. Census.

WWII Registration Card
Hiram Brumfield

5 comments:

  1. I think this is my family ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. If so you come from a beautiful family inside and out. They were a part of Sweet Home Missionary Baptist Church in Kentwood. My grandmother sung in the choir with Ms Daisy Brumfield for years and she also remembers Ms Daisy's father and mother. She told me before I actually saw this picture that he use to ride on a beautiful horse. To see this picture makes me appreciate all of her long talks about the past. I remember Ms Daisy she was a beautiful spirit and such a great inspiration. She will always be remembered and missed by Sweet Home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother's maiden name was Brumfield. My grandfather name was Andrew Brumfield. Andrew was born 9-2-1898 in Franklinton, La. to Andrew "Anderson" Brumfield born 9-20-1861 in Franklinton, La. and Charlotte "Lottie" Mae Brumfield Brumfield, Charlotte maiden name also Brumfield born in 1862 in Franklinton. Charlotte father was Isaac "Ike" Brumfield, her mother unknown. Ike was blind, his the other children were Lucy Brumfield Brumfield (maiden name also Brumfield), married to William, Jack Brumfield, West Brumfield, Phyllis (Kid), Brumfield Salter, Mollie Brumfield. Anderson parents were Thomas "Tom" Brumfield census say born in Virginia about 1836. Permelia "Amelia" Brumfield (maiden name may have been Bickham), may have been born about 1837, census say in MIssissippi. My ancestry on my mother's father's side is in Louisiana and Mississippi, most known in Franklinton and Mt.Hermon, ancestry in Pike County, MCComb, Osyka, also Wathall. We had a cousin, Jessie Mae Miller Andrews who lived in Kentwood before moving to Mt Hermon to live with her nephew Keith Long. Cousin Jessie died June 2014, she was the granddaughter of Mary Brumfield Miller. Mary was the first born child of my great great grandparents Tom and Amelia Brumfield. Tom other children was William(Buddy)Brumfield, 1st wife Lucy Brumfield Brumfield(maiden also.) 2nd wife Martha Reed Brumfield, Elizabeth "Patsy", Brumfield, Andrew Brumfield(my g. grandfather), King Brumfield, Alice Brumfield, Davis Brumfield, Dora Brumfield Reed, Ollie Brumfield, son, Dewitt Brumfield, Arthur Brumfield 1st wife Mary or Martha Slocum?, 2nd wife Hester Simmons. If there be someone who have a family tree, other than Jackie Chapman, we've shared information on the tree she has together. Whatever you have on my ancestors and maybe yours too and be willing to share it would really mean a lot. I will be happy to do the same. You can email me at irenethomas5540@gmail.com. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment is in regards to information I gave on my g. g. Uncle Arthur Brumfield on Febuary 12, 2015. I looked back later in my information on my Brumfield family and discovered I had given wrong name for Arthur's first wife, her name was Bertha Slocum, not Mary neither Martha Slocum. Thank You.

    Family Researcher,
    Irene Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do believe this is my family history as well.

    ReplyDelete