Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Delores Aaron Family Photographs

Delores Zander Aaron
Photo Credit:Antoinette Harrell
My visit to the immaculate home of Delores Aaron in Amite, Louisiana several summers ago was a rewarding visit. My Bush branch of my family three is where we are related. After her mother Clotilde Zanders passed away, Delores inherited  the earthly belongings of her mother Clotilde Zander after she passed away. Clotilde was somewhat of an archivist when it came to preserving photographs, documents, and newspapers clippings regarding to local history of African Americans.

Originally, what started out as a how and a passion for me swiftly turned into a necessity after I began searching for historical documents, history, and photographs of African Americans in the parish. I was disappointed at the lack of source available for researching on African Americans. I decided to use that my disappointment as a stepping stone for change.

Starting with the local people in the area was the best start for me. I established great contact with people who had lots of photographs and other research materials in their homes that had a possibility of helping me to fulfill my mission and purpose. I need the help of the people in all the communities in the area.   

In explaining the mission and the importance of how we can transform the narrative by working together so we could achieve what we were hoping for. Her comfort was my assurance that I was not going to take any picture or document from her home. I had my laptop and scanner ready to set up to scan whatever she had to share.  Immediately, she went in the house and retrieved a box full of photographs. We spent almost two hours scanning photos, and talking before I decided it was time for me to go. After all I didn't wan tot wear out my welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment