Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Boykin Family History of Fluker, Louisiana

Jake and Martha Boykins
Photo Courtesy of Linnie Walls
Today my colleague Leonard Smith lll of L3S Studios and I decided to conduct genealogy research on my father's side of the family. I searched the Louisiana Statewide Death Index at the Louisiana State Archives and found my 2nd great grandfather Jake Boyins death record. On the death records, they called him "Jack" Boykins. Leonard searched the U.S. Census from 1940 back to 1870. He found Sam Boykins, wife and children living in St. Helena Parish.

Grandfather Jake died in Fluker, Louisiana. He was born in 1860 according to the 1870 census. According to his death record, he was born July 3, 1868, and died on March 29, 1941, at the age of 72. Jake is the son of Sam and Catherine (Elleneria), Boykin.

Jake and Martha were the parents of my grandfather Ernest Boykins and Johnnie Boykins according to the 1930 census. There may be other children, I haven't yet found on the census.

One day while talking with a man named Roy Curtis and his brother J.C. Curtis from Fluker-- they both told me that Jake was the kind of man that stood up for himself and the community. According to the 1930 census, Jake could read and write. His wife Martha couldn't read or write.  Jake's occupation was a truck farmer in Fluker, Louisiana. Records show that Jake didn't fight in any war. The Boykins always lived in Fluker, Louisiana up until recent years. Many of my father's siblings moved to California.

My father's brother Lonnie Boykins was elected to the City Council as Councilman of District A. Lonnie Boykins, Sr., died Saturday, Jan 31, 2004, at St. Tammany Hospital.  He was survived by his wife, Paulette Boykins; one daughter Shellean Daniels of Covington; three sons, Lonnie Boykins, Jr., John and Malcolm. Two sisters, Florence Basby of Gardenia, California., and Frances Sibley of Gardenia, California who is now deceased; 15 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Walter  Boykins
Uncle Lonnie was preceded in death by his father, Ernest; his mother Mary; and two brothers Ernest Jr., and Jerry. Many Boykins are buried in Community Baptist Church Cemetery in Fluker, Louisiana.

Jake and Martha are buried on the Kent property in Fluker. My father told me where they were buried. I tried to access the cemetery but because it's on private property I couldn't get to their graves. Most of the older people who lived in Fluker in the late 1800s and early 1900s is buried in this cemetery.

My father's mother Mary was a McKay from Mississippi. Not much is known about her side of the family. My father remembers staying with his grandmother Martha as a little boy. I can't wait to interview him again. It's very important to document our own family history. If we don't who will?


State of Louisiana 
Bureau of Vital Statistics 
Certificate of Death
Jack (Jake) Boykin




"United States Census, 1930," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XMT4-326 : accessed 06 Apr 2014), Ernest Boykin in household of Jake Boykin, Police Jury Ward 3, Tangipahoa, Louisiana, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 0008, sheet 18A, family 336, NARA microfilm publication T626, roll 822.