Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Edgar Pitts the teacake man

Edgar Pitts
Photo Credit: Antoinette Harrell
There is more to Edgar beside enjoyment of syrup making and being retired.  Edgar enjoys the art of syrup making in addition to being retired.  Another thing he enjoys is making teacakes. As a child, my mother baked teacakes for me and my brothers. I had the opportunity to taste one of these sweet treats. Although I thought Mary had made them, she explained to me she could not take credit for the freshly baked teacakes. She told me that Edgar had made them. I was told that this time he had tried something completely different. He used homemade syrup.  He said he didn't think they tasted good. It's not the best batch I've ever made, he assured me. Although I didn't taste the kind he is used to baking, I couldn't tell the difference because they tasted delicious to me. One thing for sure is that his father-in-law, Mr. L.S. Spears enjoys his freshly bake teacakes and so did everyone else. Edgar is related to the Womack's. They're first cousins. I hope to get to taste his original teacake  recipe next fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment